Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, May 29, 2015

"What Is Man...?"

"When I consider Your heavens,..what is man that You are mindful of him...?" (Ps 8:3, 4)

That is you and I "down" there somewhere.  This is who we are, small creatures on a small traveling body in the Universe.  And compared to other bodies, our home planet is really quite small.
moon
David could not see this; therefore, David said, "When I consider the...moon....."  Now, however, you and I can say, "When I consider the Earth." 

The moon, whose surface we can see here, is traveling around that blue and white marble called, Earth. 
The following stats are from various sources.  Our earth is rotating on its axis at about 1040 mph.  We travel around the sun every year at about 67,000 mph.  Our solar system is moving around the Milky Way Galaxy at about 490,000 mph.  Our Milky Way Galaxy is moving in "the local group of galaxies" at about 665,000 mph. 

Now I too, "When I consider Your heavens," ask, "What is man...?"  As with David, the question is not a, "Who are we?"  Rather, it is for me as I think it was for David, "How do you even know we exist?"  Some One Who rules all of this, "by the Word of His power," the Some One Who declares that He loves us, sustains us, forgives us, receives us into His Family, is beyond (that word does not really describe it) any comprehension.  No wonder His Peace, "passes all understanding;" so does He.

Yet, though He rules the vast Universe described above, in a revelation of Himself in a moment in history, He appeared among men as a baby named Jesus, and was found by laboring men in a animal feeding trough.  Some years later, He was know as, "the carpenter's son," a young boy, then a man named, Jesus.  The announcement of his "birth" was like His very humble life while He walked the Galilee.  Jesus was Joseph and Mary's boy, playing, then working, then assuming the "man-of-the-house status when, as many historians believed, Joseph died while Jesus was still living at home.  How unlike "great people" in history, no fanfare, no presumption, just Jesus, the One Who keeps this planet, this solar system, this galaxy" traveling at in their incredible speeds-------------- on their assigned journey.

My advice to you and me today?  Relax.  If Jesus can "handle" the Universe, He can handle you and me.  I leave you with a quote from an old movie.  "Believe me, Senator, this ship can handle any attack, should it occur."

Father, in Jesus' Name, "What is man that You are mindful of him..."  Though I have no answer, I am very glad that You Are.  Amen.
**********************************
* Please keep in prayer my plans for David's Tent, September 18-22
* See video of Arab reaction to Obama's latest speech at:    jhs58.blogspot.com

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive