Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, March 2, 2015

"Real Food And...Real Drink"

"I am the living bread which came down from heavenIf anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world.... Whoever eats my flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last dayFor My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed."  (John 6)

Fewer words in human history have precipitated such controversy, such error and such misunderstanding.  I am not saying that I can "clear this up," but I do so appreciate Jesus' invitation to you and me.  It is classic, "Come and dine."  And I can tell you also that nothing has so "puzzled" me and yet, at the same time, thrilled my soul as the Words of our text, "God-Breathed," Words, Words as Micah says, "from days of eternity."  They are "beautiful words, wonderful words, wonderful words of life."


We "sat" with Jesus at His Table yesterday in our church gathering.  That Last Passover Jesus spent with His friends must have been something of historic/eternal beauty.  But you and I need not "long" for something as in "what would Jesus do?"  Every time you and I participate in the Table of the Lord Jesus, aka, communion, we are "doing" what Jesus does, now, "wherever two or three are gathered together in [Jesus'] Name," that Passover meal with/in Jesus, table prepared, fellowship and celebration of the Lord God's great deliverance from Egypt, from all attempts at Israel's destruction, and most notably, "....I shall give...My flesh...for the life of the world," everyone whoever lived and shall live.  Only in the flesh and blood of Jesus
is the deliverance from the power of sin, and the the great promise, "and I will raise him up at the last day,"  the glorious, peace and happiness and comfort of the forgiveness of sin, "in His Cross."

People recoiled at the first time they heard the words, "eat my flesh and drink my blood."  They still do, even some "believers."  Over the years, I have come more and more to appreciate the invitation, the command.  We sometimes exhort one another to "feed on Jesus," and other such attempts to describe the mostly unimaginable.  Such intimacy, such love, such "family," such wondrous love in the Blessed Trinity to invite us to, "eat My flesh...and drink [My] blood."  Gorge yourself today, my friend.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I receive.  Amen.
**************************
Prime Minster, Benjamin Netanyahu is to address the United States of America Congress tomorrow, March, 3, at 11:00.  Coverage on some networks will begin earlier.  I prayed in the spirit the whole time he spoke at AIPAC.  I plan to do the same tomorrow.  He did a great job today, in spite of the vicious attacks of the Administration and cronies, and the Media.  Senator Feinstein said, "He's arrogant."  Others are saying it was all political.  It was not political.  Netanyahu said, "America is concerned about its security.  Israel is concerned about its survival."  Great line, Bibi.

 

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive