Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

The Power of "One"

"For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified." (Hebrews 10:14)  "For by a single offering He has forever completely cleansed and perfected those who are consecrated and made holy." (Amplified Bible)

There you have it, my friend, "a single offering," or, "one offering...."  As the hymn says, "'Tis done--- the great transaction's done, I am my Lord's and He is mine," and all, "by a single offering," Jesus Himself.  There is just nothing more to do.

As I read Hebrews this quarter I was again blessed, convicted and encouraged, yes, all at the same time.  For instance, how about this from the KJV translation of 8:10, "I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts...."  Notice not "on," but, "into...and...in."  All the work Jesus does in you and me is, "into...and...in."  No more "outside" religion, no more, "What would Jesus do?" as though He were 2000 years removed from us.  Jesus' Law- Word, Jesus' Life, the Presence of the Blessed Trinity Himself is in, I repeat, IN those who have received Jesus and surrendered their lives to Jesus.


One and only, "one single offering," this is what the Bible calls, "the faith of Jesus."  No religion in the world, neither now, nor ever has given mankind such a sweeping forgiveness for sin, given us a, "completely cleansed perfected...consecrated and made holy," life.  I could not, I cannot, nor could I ever earn, work for, or be worthy apart from Jesus for, "so great a salvation."  Yet here He is, dear Follower of Jesus.  Here today, afresh, anew He is reminding you and me just Who we have in Jesus Christ, One Who Alone has done for us what none other could ever have done, "BY ONE SINGLE (solitary) OFFERING," Jesus has done it all, and all to bring us into Father, into Son Jesus Himself, and into the Holy Spirit, and, think of it, the Living Triune God, "into," us.  And all by ONE, ONE, ONE. 
 
No wonder that John Burton wrote in 1803:
"Holy Bible, Book Divine,
Precious Treasure, Thou are mine."

Father, in Jesus' Name, thank You for my, "One Offering."  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive