Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Who Counsels You?

"'Woe to the rebellious children, says the Lord, 'Who take counsel, but not of Me, and who devise plans, but not of My Spirit, that they may add sin to sin; who walk to go down to Egypt (governments), and have not asked My advice, to strengthen themselves in the strength of Pharaoh (political leaders), and to trust in the shadow of Egypt (governments)!  Therefore the strength of Pharaoh (political leaders) shall be your shame, and trust in the shadow of Egypt (governments) shall be your humiliation (literally, "disgrace, dishonor, shame").'"  (Isaiah 30:3, from today's Major Prophets reading)

There's that word again, "rebellious."  I really do not plan these things.  Maybe I should apologize for using my daily readings for my devotionals.  They do require, however, that you and I consider, "the whole counsel of God," something which is becoming more and more an anomaly in Christendom.  Selective reading will bring selective obedience.

Our text is a theme text for the majority of Americans.  It is a theme text for the rebellious, of which we considered yesterday.  Rebellion is determined by whom we trust; our acts merely reflect the object of our trust.  If my trust is, "Pharaoh," and, "Egypt," political leader, government, employer, or anyone other than Jesus, I am living in rebellion.  Our text says that such a life style, "shall be your humiliation," could we say, "embarrassment?" 

Submission to Jesus Christ, His Counsel, strengthening ourselves in Jesus, planning in Jesus, trusting in Jesus will insure us against, "humiliation."  O, the number of times you and I could count when humiliation came our way because of misplaced trust.  No one in their life time walks flawlessly in this.  But the wise will do everything they can to avoid trusting, "Pharaoh," and, "Egypt."  Today the Pharaohs and Egypts of the world are in, "humiliation."  They, "take counsel, but not of Jesus, and...devise plans, but not of [His Blessed Majesty, Holy Spirit]."  They think they have matured beyond such an ancient and primitive religion.  Anyone who believes such will live such, and their, "trust in the shadow of [such] shall be...humiliation."

Maybe this is the reason Jesus led me to pray for the embarrassment of government leaders, "who take counsel, but not of Me, and who devise plans, but not of My Spirit."  It's "working."  It is the intent of, "humiliation," (and the reason that I pray for embarrassment) to bring us to Jesus Christ, to live life Jesus' Way, in His Words, in the Holy Spirit, in Father's Bosom.  Have you not been amazed over the years as to the many "ways and means" God uses to bring us to, "take counsel...of Me, and...My Spirit"?!?

Father, in Jesus' Name, I pray I always, "....take counsel...of [You], and...devise plans...of [Your] Spirit."  Amen.
*************************
Will be preaching in the Good Shepherd Church meeting this coming Sunday.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive