Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

"A Scorched Land"

"God sets the solitary in families....But the rebellious dwell in a dry (scorched) land."  
(Psalm 68:6c)

I have heard the first part of our text quoted so many times over the years, and cannot remember when anyone connected it to the latter part.  Yet the contrast could not be more, at the same time, comforting and fearful.  I have seen, "scorched land."  Nothing grows there, no water, no vegetation, no life.  This is a life of rejection, the life who rejects Jesus, His "Law/Word", His reign.  Our text should be a motivator.  Yes, love for Jesus and His Kingdom should rule.  The Bible shows us many, many times, however, in both Old and New Testaments, the consequences of not loving the Lord our God in surrender to His rule in our lives.  This is true of individuals; this is true of nations; this is increasingly America.

I watched some news this morning, and they had a video op of the US President in the Oval Office with some of his advisors.  I have never seen Obama look so haggard, even unhealthy, even confused.  I told Sarah that I felt sorry for him.  No one with any love for Jesus and humanity delights to see that.  If they do, it is time for a, "love your neighbor as yourself," check.  Regardless, we need to hear the words, "Be not deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man (or nation) sows, that he will also reap."

There have been times in my life when I have at least felt like that, whether I "looked" like that or not.  It was many times because of rebellion.  Most of us do not actively seek rebellion, or think we are actually out right deliberately rebelling against our Lord Jesus.  Yet when we make our own decisions, run our own lives, without a "wait on the Lord," mentality, that is exactly what we are doing.  There are many "great" and "powerful" people and ministries which are operating in rebellion.  It is not noticeable to them or most others, but nonetheless there.  Chambers once said, "We are apt to look upon Our Lord as One Who assists us in our enterprises for God."  This is classic, "I'll do it myself," aka, rebellion.  

Obedience, surrender, waiting, you know, all those words which our "natural" man runs from, are nevertheless, "life to those who find them."  If they rule in our relationship in Jesus, we walk and live that famous Psalm, "[Jesus] makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still (quiet) waters"--- such a contrast to, "a scorched land."  But life has already taught you this, hasn't it?

Father, in Jesus' Name, I have experienced, "a scorched land."  It is very frightening.  Thank You, Holy Spirit, for not allowing me to prosper in this way.  Amen.
******************************
Read about the truth in the "Ferguson" mentality:    jhs58.blogspot.com

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive