Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

There Is No Need For Such Despair

"Yet better than both is he who has never existed, who has not seen the evil work that is done under the sun."  (Ecclesiastes 4:3)

What can be more sad than a person who comes to such conclusion of life?  "....Better...is he who has never existed...."  I'm sure there are many throughout the earth.

I am sitting here in a McDonald's doing this devotional.  It's the only WiFi available near the service shop where I am having a periodic service done on our vehicle.  A van with special needs people came in some time ago, some with more "severe" disabilities than others.  One very, very tall guy sat near me.  While others were conversing and talking, he sat there as he ate, alone, said nothing.  One time I looked at him and our eyes met; I smiled; he smiled back.  As they were leaving, I had the opportunity to send a smile to two others.  Dear Lord Jesus, may our contact bless them today.  

Over the last 50+ years as a pastor, I have heard people speak our text from time to time, such despair such hopelessness.  There can be many reasons for such an attitude.  Some who think/say such things may have been born with a severe disability, live in pain, abandoned by friends, family.  Most likely, life has been full of one disappointment after another.  There is always, however, one very, extremely important reality to never forget. Our birth, our coming into this world has given us the opportunity to know Jesus, to have Jesus live in us, save us, "Who delivered us from so great a death, and does deliver usin whom we trust that He will still deliver us."

Please never entertain such despair as our text, "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." 

Father, in Jesus Name, thank You that I do exist, that you brought me here to know you.  Amen.
********************
*Will be in Washington, DC, from September 17-21

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive