Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Some Thoughts on Psalm 119

"This is my comfort in my affliction, for Your word has given me life.....Those who fear You will be glad when they see me, because I have hoped in Your word."  (Psalm 119:50 & 74)

When I read verse 74, I thought, "So I guess that those who do not fear the Lord Jesus Christ, 'will [notbe glad when they see me.'" 

Concerning verse 50, there is really not too much more to say, is there?  I experienced this in a life saving way 44 years ago, and from that summer on I have been continually finding that not only in, "affliction," but also continually, day by day, moment by moment, "....Your word has given me life."  If you feel "lifeless" today, if you are struggling to make it through each day, or just a certain "season" in your life, I offer to you, "This is my comfort in my affliction, FOR YOUR WORD HAS GIVEN ME LIFE."

Concerning verse 74, I had an experience in DC which I should probably not share because it will seem like boasting; believe whatever.  It humbled me, however, and also put the fear of the Lord Jesus in me anew.  I was in David's tent twice when a particular worship team was leading a two hour segment.  On the Saturday I was there, and the day before they left to return to California, one of the worship team members came and sat by me and wondered who I was.  After some introductions, he said that the whole team noticed a "very strong anointing on you."  I was doing nothing but my regular praying while walking back and forth in the rear of the tent, sometimes sitting, sometimes standing.  

When I read Psalm 119:74 for this month, I recalled what they said.  Whatever they saw in those days in David's Tent, whatever made them, "glad," when they saw me, it was only, "....because I have hoped in Your word," no more, no less.  The same is true of all those who, "have hoped in Your word."

I commend both passages to you today.  This is comfort none other can provide, and this is true of all those in whom Jesus Christ lives, in whom is the life of, "because I have hoped in Your word."  Don't be surprised if some who call themselves "believers" are not, "glad to see," you.  There are many such who just are not of, "Those who fear [God]."  But equally, don't be surprised if some who do not seem to be, or claim to be believers are glad, "when they see [you.]"  They just may be, "Those who fear," the Lord Jesus Christ.  Jesus, open our eyes to them.

Father, in Jesus' Name, Your psalmist speaks my heart.  Your Words are indeed, "a lamp to my feet and light to my heart."  Amen.
************************
* Some interesting takes on Obama's speech at the UN yesterday at:  jhs58.blogspot.com

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive