Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, August 1, 2014

I Honor A Great, "Sower"

"ListenBehold, a sower went out to sow."  Mark 4:3)

This parable is about both, "a sower," and, the soils.  Both have great privilege and responsibility.

103 years ago today a very important, "sower," in the history of the Church was born, Kenneth Thomas Barnett (they added the "e" years later).  He was the most effective soul winner I ever knew.  He was discipled by his Dad who won many people to Jesus in the rough world of railroad personnel.  When my Dad was in his 30s, a man who had been a drunk and roughian and who had come to Jesus through a street preacher further influence his my Dad, "a sower (who) went out to sow."  All I remember about the converted roughian is that his last name was Rutledge.  In the days when you had to use an operator, he would make a call, and while the operator was making the connection, he would say, "Say, operator, have you ever received the Lord Jesus Christ as your Savior."  If he were in an elevator, after the door would close, he would say, "I trust that everyone in here has accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as your Savior."  We all admire such people, but few of us are such people.  Basically, we want people to think well of us.

My Mom used to say when she was shopping at a mall, Dad would sit in a spot where others were sitting.  When she came back, he was usually talking to someone about Jesus.  I have written this before, but I repeat it here.  I once asked the Lord why I was not a very good, "fisher[] of men."  He didn't rebuke me for that.  He just said, "Fish in the waters of your testimony."  When you and I find it difficult to just strike up a conversion with someone, when we have forgotten all the evangelism seminars we have attended and techniques we learned, there is always our testimony.  I suggest that we start with the testimony, not "end" with it.  Most I know try to "fish" with formula and technique rather than, "by the word of their testimony," more accurately, "the Word to which they bore witness."  Peter at Pentecost said, "This is that...."  In other words, "What you are witnessing (the testimony) is what the Word proclaims."  Or, the testimony is the result of the faithfulness of the Blessed Trinity to His Words.
Maybe this would be a good "approach" for us.  "This is that...."

I close with a prayer I used to pray more often and intend to "dust it off."  "Lord Jesus, lead me to someone with whom I can share You today."  Amen.
***********************
* My prayer for Jerusalem based on Psalm 122:  I, "pray for the peace of Jerusalem."  May only those who love Jerusalem prosper.
* I now have two night in Washington, DC.  I need 5 more.  Thank you to those who have responded.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive