Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

So You Have Given Up On Praying, Have You?

"Let them be ashamed and dismayed forever, and let them be humiliated and perish, that they may know that You alone, whose name is the Lord, are the Most High over all the earth." (Psalm 83:17, 18--NASB)

Some times in my "line of work," you can think you are extending things a little bit, as the old saying goes, "going beyond the pale."  I have mentioned that I have been praying that all who reject Jesus Christ in the US Government (and actually globally as well), those who govern and "rule" by humanistic standards would be embarrassed.  Now that sounds a little cruel to some, not "sensitive," "nice," etc.  But today's text revealed that I am not all that "out of touch."
  I looked up the Hebrew word in our text for, "ashamed," and yes, you guessed it; it is also translated elsewhere, "embarrassed, brought to confusion."  And my purpose for this prayer is also found in our text, "....that they may know...."  I am not claiming that my prayers are stirring up all that we are witnessing, but neither am I resisting the possibility.  Anyone who reads the Bible and takes Him seriously knows that there are, "exceeding great and precious promises," to all who trust and obey Jesus Christ, corporately and individually.  As Joshua 23:10 declares, "One man of you shall chase a thousand, for the Lord your God is He who fights for you, as He promised."

I continue to encourage you
to pray and believe big, e.g, as the command of our King Jesus to a Hebrew king, "Ask for yourself a sign (a token or proof) of the Lord your God [one that will convince you that God has spoken and will keep His Word]; ask it either in the depth below or in the height above [let it be as deep as Sheol of as high as heaven]."  The Living Bible says, "Ask anything you like...."  I tell you that too much of the Church has been far too timid in praying.  Come out of timidity.  Take our Lord Jesus Christ at His "God-Breathed" Word, "Seek the Lord [Jesus Christ] and His strength, seek His face continually....Men should always pray and never give up....And will not God give justice to his elect, who cry to Him day and nightWill He delay long over them I tell you, He will give justice to them speedily....Pray without ceasing." 

No preacher, no "super saint" can encourage you with the same power as does our Lord Jesus Christ's Words which we have in the Bible.  Read them, then pray them.  The world is in desperate need of such praying.

Father, in Jesus' Name, forgive my timid prayers over the years.  Strengthen me to keep asking "deep and high."  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive