Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

"Fan Into Flame the Gift of God"


"I thank God, whom I serve, as my ancestors did, with a clear conscience....I am reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother...and your mother...and...now lives in you alsoFor this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you...."  (2 Timothy 1, NIV)

When I read our text in one of today's readings, I was reminded again of my great heritage (I even posted a photo of my Mom and me on Facebook).  I cannot express my thanks enough to our Lord Jesus Christ for four Grandparents and both Parents who were Believers in Jesus.  I can remember a parishioner who said to me many years ago, "But I don't have such a heritage."  I said, "Start one."

Many people do not have ancestors who were faithful Followers of Jesus.  They do, however, have a choice.  They can live in regret, blame, resentment, or they can choose Jesus and follow Him.  And Paul gives very great advice, nay, a command for an overcoming, moment by moment victorious life in Jesus, "....Fan into flame the gift of God...."  I believe that Great and Marvelous Gift is none other than His Blessed Majesty, the Holy Ghost.  Whether one has, "a goodly heritage," or no, anyone who surrenders his/her life to Jesus can walk in power, the power in the Holy Spirit, daily, every moment of the day, any time anywhere, not just in meetings, in fact, right there, right now. Then, whether there are "answers" or no "answers," whether family or friends are following Jesus or not, we can walk in victory, a victory which is only in Our Father, in Jesus Christ in the Holy Spirit. 

So, I encourage you today to, "fan into flame the gift of God."  The battle/warfare spoken of in Scripture is increasing in intensity around the Globe.  The need for you and me to, "fan into flame the gift of God," is, if we could so say, even greater now.  "And do this, understanding the present time: The hour has already come for you to wake from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed."

Father, in Jesus' Name, Blessed Holy Spirit, please keep reminding me to, "fan into flame the gift of God."  Amen.
********************
A week from tomorrow we leave for our Spring Mission.
    May 1:            Depart USA
    May 2:            Arrive Berlin
    May 5-8:        Woody in Bosnia
    May 12-19:    With Prayer team in Berlin-- May 13 in Wittenberg (Lutherstadt)
    May 20:         Return to USA

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive