Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, December 13, 2013

"A Psalm...In The Wilderness"

"O God, You are my God; early will I seek You; my flesh thirsts for You; my flesh longs for You in a dry and thirsty land where there is no water."  (Psalm 63:1)

I read two articles today about two of "my" countries, North Korea and Romania (You can read them by going to our Blog listed below).  While North Korea is still under a dictatorial, communist regime, and still rated as the number one persecutor of the Church, Romania has for 24 years been a relatively "free" and open democracy.  The article which I read, however, reveals some disturbing trends in Romania.  This battle is not over, my friend. 

Our text is just one of many Biblical passages which the suffering Church has been praying for 2000 years, yes, 2000 years.  Even though Christianity became the official religion of the Roman Empire after 300 years of persecution, those who have been committed to Jesus and His Words have never been free of persecution, albeit, the forms of that persecution have varied from generation to generation and from nation to nation.  Frankly, when the US Government stood by as a court in rebellion to Jesus Christ outlawed His Prayer and His Words in the State School System, I personally saw it as an attack on me, and a very real persecution of the Church.  Further, I used to, with some regularly, go into state high schools in the various parishes I served and spoke of Jesus Christ and gave invitations to receive Jesus.  I am not allowed to do that now.  Nearly 17 years ago, a pastor was put in prison in Lynchburg, VA. for passing out tracks on a public sidewalk to high school students.  I went to visit him in prison, but was not allowed to see him!  Maybe a reason we are not persecuted as much as Believers in other countries is that we have learned a "safe" version of Christianity. 


It is obvious that I have been sharing my daily journey through the Psalms with you.  I noted again that the title to this Psalm is, "A Psalm of David when he was in the wilderness of Judah."
Or we could say of this Psalm, "A Psalm...in the wilderness...."  Before I knew of any suffering, the Psalms were a sort of enigma to me.  After Stephen died, they became a most treasured possession.  And what about you today?  Are you in need of, "A Psalm...in the wilderness..."?  I pray the Bible continually for North Korea, Romania, and all of the countries I have visited in my life time, including Iran and Morocco, the latter, by the way, is also on the world wide persecution list.  But I also pray the Bible for you and me.  I don't say this very often, but if you are going through a "wilderness," let us know so that we can pray through the journey with you.

When Brother Andrew and I were writing to each other every month, he would sign his letters, "Yours in the fight."  Nothing has changed.  You and I are "in the fight."  We engaged in this fight the moment we opened the door of our hearts to Jesus Christ, and, "....I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me," became a reality in us.  There are an estimated 400,000+ Followers of Jesus going through unspeakable suffering in North Korea.  You may be going through suffering also, but do not compare your suffering with our North Korean Church.  Suffering is suffering, regardless the source, the "type," etc.  Yet in it and "through it all," anyone may pray, "O God, You are my God....My soul thirsts for You...."  To which He always responds, "If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drinkHe who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart ('his belly, innermost being') will flow rivers of living water."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I thank You that there is no wilderness without water while I am in You and You in me.  Amen.
*****************
jhs58.blogspot.com

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive