Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Proverbs 2: "If You Receive My Words....Then"

"My son, if you receive my words, and treasure my commands within in you....Then...." Proverbs 2:1, 5a)

Verses 1 through 4 are the "ifs."  Verses 5 through 22 are the "thens."  Most people want the "thens" of life without any "ifs."  The Bible tells humanity that it does not work that way, even though a lot of voices who claim to speak for Jesus Christ and His Church say otherwise.  The Book of Proverbs is full and rich; it is the Word of God, Jesus Christ.  If people spent more time with Jesus in His Book, than they do in other literature and television gurus, they would put a lot of counselors out of business. 

I once asked a person who was coming for counseling quite frequently many, many years ago, "How much Bible do you read?"  The answer was, "Not much."  I decided (way too late, by the way) to have that person read at least three chapters in the Bible every day for two weeks, then we would talk some more.  I was wearing out with a person who had little heart for Jesus, His Ways, His Church, His Kingdom.  That person was just self-consumed, and wanted only self-consuming answers.  I really had nothing to say to that person.  The same is true today.  If a person will not "consult" the Word of God, why do they keep consulting us------------ and we keep trying to give them answers, answers which can only further delude them?!?  I might add very strongly here that far too many Christians quote Bible passages incessantly to people, and never challenge them to our text.

"Yes, if you cry out for discernment, and lift up your voice for understanding, if you seek her as silver, and search for her as for hidden treasures; then you will understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God" (vv. 3-5).  Notice the object of our, "cry out for discernment, and...understanding,..as for hidden treasures," is, "then you will understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God."  There is absolutely no other way to, "understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God," but to, "seek...as for hidden treasures...." 

Verse 6 gives, if one needs it, a reason for the foregoing, "For the Lord gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding."  If you and I do not seek and receive, "from His mouth," then there can be no, "knowledge and understanding"; it does not matter the degrees or the golden-mouthed charismatic personally.  I only wish I would have taken Proverbs more seriously and to heart many, many years ago; but I did not.  When our son, Stephen, died, I was brought to the end of myself and leaning on my own understanding.  It was written in my heart that only, "from His mouth come knowledge and understanding."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I ignored so much of Your Word for too long.  I thank You for the season you changed that.  Amen.
********************
Fall 2013 Mission: October 27-November 23.  We have had some additional expenses.  If you would like to help in this mission, let us know.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive