Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, July 5, 2013

Relationship Trumps Disappointment

"O My God, I cry in the daytime, but You do not hear; and in the night season, and am not silent But You are holy, enthroned in the praises of Israel."  (Psalm 22:2, 3)

How does a person who says God does not hear him, then go on to worship?  He is a person of faith, of love, of surrender to his God.

Look at David's life; it was not all giant-slaying, harp playing, and military conquests.  There was adultery, then murder to cover it up.  His was a life filled with familial dysfunction, betrayal and heartache.  Sort of sounds like the majority of humanity throughout the ages, doesn't it?  David survived his sin, the resulting chaos, and all life could throw at him by, "But You are holy, enthroned in the praises of Israel."

Relationship trumps disappointment.  If I am in Jesus Christ and Jesus in me, if I walk in and enjoy, "Thou preparest a table before me," which I take to be fellowship, then I have the power to live an overcoming life also.  Unanswered prayer will not keep you and me from, "But You are holy, enthroned in the praises of Israel....I will extol Thee, my God, O King; and I will bless Your Name forever and everEvery day will I bless Thee, and I will praise Thy name forever and ever."

The next time you are tempted to lament over unanswered prayer, pick up Psalm 145 and pray it, confess it, affirm it.  Fight sorrow, fear, frustration with praise.  "Hey, God did not answer your prayers for your son."  Okay, but the Living Triune God is, "enthroned in the praises of [His People]," and I have chosen that course rather than the one many others have chosen in similar sadness.  Rather than my disappointments, heartaches, frustrations, I choose to enthrone Jesus Christ.  I will not "enthrone" my sorrows and miss out on the enthronement celebration.

Father, in Jesus' Name, Your Praises are my deliverance and sustenance.  Amen.
*******************************
We are still in need of gifts for this Fall's Mission.  If you would like details of the expenses, we can send them to you.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive