Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

"Ministry"

"....to take part in this ministry...."  (Acts 1:17)

The word for, "ministry," in our text is the Greek word which is also translated "deacon."  I wonder how many of us think of ourselves as deacons.  Yet the word goes around Christian circles so much.  Every time someone says, "my ministry," or, "I ministered there/to them," I wonder if they realize they are doing the work of deacons.  I also wonder if apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, teachers, the bishops, the leaders see all their efforts ("ministries") as the work of a deacon, i.e., a servant.  The word can mean, "service, mission, relief, support."  Strong's says that the special meaning is, "those who do the commands of others."  Do you and I really see ourselves as "those who do the commands of others," The Other, Jesus Christ?  If you and I speak of ministering, if we are speaking of accurate Biblical ministry, then we are speaking of serving, mission, relief and support of others.  All of this is at "the commands of" Jesus.

When I came to realize this many years ago, it changed my attitude towards the appreciation and response of people, the "results."  A servant does not think of such things; he just serves.  And if we serve our Lord Jesus in this attitude, we will never stop serving.  We will keep serving regardless of how or if we are received at all because we love Jesus Christ, serving because we, as the Ecclesiastes writer says, "Fear God and keep His commandments."  I also wonder what the church would be like if more aspired to the office of deacon than bishop, or the "platform."

"Just do it" is a popular promotional phrase by a prominent company.  Perhaps it is good advice for you and me.  You and I will "just do it" if we "just walk" in Jesus, abide in Jesus and His Words, keep, "Looking unto Jesus."  If we walk in any other attitude, looking to any other or anything other, we will be in danger of doing what so many have done throughout Church History, quit.
  Ephesians 4:12 says that Jesus equips us, "for the work of the ministry," literally, "work (and it is work) of service," more literally, "waiting at table"!  My heart and attitude is to be as our Lord Jesus, "I am among you as One Who serves." 

Father, in Jesus' Name, help me Holy Spirit to a greater manifestation of a deacon.  Amen.
*******************


When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive