Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, January 31, 2013

"Imitate Their Faith"

"God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things by whom also he made the worlds, Who being...the express image of his person...." (From Hebrews 1, KJV)

The sentence does not end until verse 4, but what a declaration of the supremacy of Jesus Christ.

(Just a note here.  As I prayed for today's devotional, I started to say that it would be a blessing to you, but what I actually said was, "I pray it will be what You are saying."  After all, isn't what Jesus is saying the blessing, and not something otherwise?)

For the next almost two weeks, I will be in Hebrews.  The Book of Hebrews was the first Bible passage I ever read, so please excuse the trip down "memory lane."  I was probably not much past, "See Spot run," but I worked through it.  My Grandfather Barnette had given me a zippered KJV Bible.  Hebrews was his "favorite" book of the Bible, and since he "hung the moon," my first reading was in Hebrews; I was six years old.  Imagine a six-year-old reading, "Sundry times and in divers manners."  I know I must have been able to read and pronounce, "times and in," but the rest probably came out phonetically, nothing more, yet I began my "journey."  By the way, I still have his rolled up New Testament bound with a rubber band which my Grandfather used to keep in his lunch box during his railroad engineering days------- a legacy treasure. 

Many of us may feel as though we come woefully short of our predecessors, but we are still a part of the same Church, the same People of God, the same, "household of faith," as they.  The Lord Jesus Christ, of Whom our text says, "made the worlds," Who is, "so much better than the angels," Who, "has by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they," this Jesus is our Jesus and we are His. 

The Bible tells us, "Remember those who led you, who spoke the word of God to you; and considering the result of their conduct, imitate their faith."  Find people whose sole life is Jesus Christ, and Jesus Christ alone, whose every utterance and deed point to Jesus, His Church, His Kingdom, who live only, "Thy Kingdom comeThy will be done in earth as it is in heaven."  Then, "imitate their faith." 

Father, in Jesus' Name, I praise and worship You, Living Triune God, "maker of Heaven and Earth.
***************
Read the latest about the IDF airstrike in Syria at: www.jerusalemberlinwashington.blogspot.com

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive