Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, December 10, 2012

Worship's Gaze

"For God is the King of all the earth; sing praises with understanding."  (Psalm 47:7)

If I don't, "sing praises with understanding," that, "God is the King of all the earth," then I don't understand, "sing praises...."  Singing and praising without authority is just, well, singing and praising.  This is what is many times mistaken for "praise and worship."  But if my singing and praising is not under the Authority of the Word of God, it is just empty carbon dioxide rising from my body.  I'm sure I have done this.  The reason I suspect this to be true is that I have engaged in worship and singing which was just singing, and worship and singing which was under Jesus Christ and His Law-Word, and oh the difference.  One is just doing what everyone else is doing, participation, religion gone amuck; the other is, "to know Him is Life Eternal."

Our text is followed in verses 8 & 9 by the words, "God reigns over the nations; God sits on His Holy ThroneThe princes of the people have gathered together, the people of the God of AbrahamFor the shields of the earth belong to God; He is greatly exalted."  This gives us the "focus" of worship, a focus which enables me to keep the perspective of the One I worship, the Eternal One, "God [Who] reigns over the nations; God [Who] sits on His Holy Throne," God Who gathers, "the princes of the people," God Who possess, "the shields of the earth," God who, "is greatly exalted." 

Have you ever noticed that when most people are in worship they look up.  I would suggest that when we worship we look in, as into the Word of God.
  Just my opinion, mind you, but all worship should begin with the "God-Breathed" Word, otherwise the worship may very well be just us-breathed.
 

Father, in Jesus' Name, my worship without Your Word is my own.  I would rather have Yours.  Amen.
********************
You have noticed perhaps that I have not been posting many news, commentary articles lately.  Part of the reason is that I have realized more and more lately that nothing new is not only not being written, but not being done.  In my two month blitz through the Bible I have realized more and more just how up-to-date and news-revealing is the "God-Breathed" Word.


When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive