Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, September 28, 2012

"Go...Join Thyself to This Chariot"

"The Spirit told Philip, 'Go to that chariot and stay near it.'" (Acts 8:29, NIV)

Last evening I had an experience which most Followers of Jesus have I'm sure.  During a session last evening, just around dark, I noticed a young man on a bicycle who had stopped not far outside the tent.  Okay, nothing unusual; many people have been doing that.  But later, I looked back again, and he was still there.  I couldn't see his face, but his observance had an intensity about it which caught my attention; so, as normal, I suppose, I would look back again from time to time.  I had the strongest "urge" to go talk to him; he just seemed very interested, "Go near, and join thyself to this chariot."  I did.  He works for the Navy and lives not far from the tent site; he was out riding and heard the music.  I told him a little of what was going on, no "Four Spiritual Laws;" maybe I should have.  I did invite him, however, to come back and pray he does.

Our text is not necessarily a precedent of all encounters with unbelievers, but neither should it be as infrequent as it tends to be with me.  This encounter and leading of the Holy Spirit was so strong that I want to renew my efforts to be more like Philip.  Watch today.  There just may be more of these encounters awaiting us "out there" than most of us imagine.  Remember the one who saw you, prayed for you, and "encountered" you?  It was my Dad for me who introduced me to Jesus, but it was a dock laborer who placed two books in my hand which ultimately brought me into the Baptism in the Holy Spirit, and my Mother-in-Law who sent me Brother Andrew's book, God's Smuggler, which too, changed my life.  It is an awesome privilege and responsibility that we are someone's "Philip."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I pray for my friend and me today that we just be more aware today.  Amen.
*****************
Twelve hour days of worship and intercession (with just a few "breaks") can be very tiring; blessed tiredness.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive