Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Where Is "Home?"

"I am a stranger in the earth; do not hide Your commandments from me." (Psalm 119:19)

The word translated, "stranger," in our text means, "alien, sojourner."  Over the years, can you not admit with me that the "closer" you got to Jesus Christ, the more "alien" you felt?  What about those old reunions, the office parties, the family holiday gatherings, the music, the movies, sports, Olympics, etc., etc.?  When in these environments, don't you feel at times "out of it," that you have little to nothing in common, like a, "stranger (alien, sojourner) in the earth?"  I tell you, my Fellow Disciple of Jesus Christ, if we don't, something is probably wrong with our spirituality.

An old song says, 
"This world is not my home, I'm just passing through."  
My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue
The angels beckon me from heaven's open door
And I can't feel at home in this world anymore.
....If Heaven's not my home then Lord what will I do?"
It has an old "country, Southern Gospel" twang to it, which is not my cup of tea, but there is truth in it.  The Bible clearly teaches that "this world is not [our] home."  Religionists can put on it whatever spin they wish, but Paul said, "If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable."  I'm just "spitballing" here, as the saying goes, but I wonder if the history of God's People would have been different if they had not gone from a sojourning-Tabernacle to a fixed-Temple culture.  I'm sure this would preach.

Notice again the course-correcting place of the, "Words of God," in the psalmist's life, "Do not hide Your commandments from me."  Jesus, "The Word of God," the Bible, His Words, is our "Compass" in this sojourn as, "a stranger in the earth."   No one can navigate the dangerous, even deadly waters of the deceivers in life, be they media, government leaders, educators, entertainers, fellow workers, family, etc., without, "Your commandments," i.e., "Your Words."  

So today, if there are those moments of, "What am I doing here?  Why do I feel so alone?"------- don't worry.  Remember, "This world is not my home; I'm just passing through."  And in this "passing through," in this life as a, "stranger, "alien, sojourner," The Word of God, my friend, Christ's "Compass," says to us, "Do not fret because of evildoers, nor be envious of the workers of iniquity.  For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb.  Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness."  That is, "dwell in [His] land, and feed on," not the television or the religion of this world, but rather, "on His Faithfulness," or, as our text declares, "Your commandments."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I thank You that You are My Home.  Amen.
******************
* Please continue to pray for the provision and plans for the "David's Tent" gathering in Washington, DC.  If you are planning to come to the gathering between September 25 through October 1, let me know.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive