Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

"To Him Be Glory in the Church"

"Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever.  Amen." (Ephesians 3:20, 21)

This passage, which comes right near the end of my quarterly trek through the Scriptures, is always so very powerful, but also a gentle (or not so gentle) rebuke.  Like most evangelical/pentecostal people, I have tended to revert to "individualism" in the walk.  But when I reflect on our text, I must tell you that my most memorable "worship experiences" have come in what Hebrews 12 describes as, "the general assembly and church of the firstborn."  This is Who the Church is, and it is in this Church the Holy Spirit most powerfully manifests (sorry if this offends you "rugged individualists").

I also read a great devotional by Bonhoeffer today on Christian Community.  It is a topic which the evangelical/charismatic traditions seem to avoid.  Most seem to have the attitude of the man interviewed by Chuck Colson years ago, and when asked what his definition of the Church was, he replied, "I'm my own church."  Nobody is.  We together comprise the Church, the Body of Christ.  Evangelicals would also balk at the statement, "there is no salvation outside the Church;" but there is not.  Right now, some are thinking only of the Catholic Church or some other institutionalize version of "church," and miss, as most evangelicals have over the decades, the true "nature" and saving power of the Church.  It is the Church for whom Jesus prayed in John 17.
This is not an either/or argument.  You just cannot separate the individual Follower of Jesus from the Church of Jesus.

I have desired to serve the Church of Jesus Christ, "the Church of the Living God," over these past 48+ years in "full-time" service.  As with any who serve the Christian Community, some have received me, some have not, and I neither blame others nor justify myself.  It has been the all-too-prevalent "spirit" of car buying, Walmart vs. Target shopping experience, as in, "Well, I just like that better than this."  Yet none of this should deter me nor you in maintaining "membership," service, regular Christian Community (Church) fellowship, support, and service.  "The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ?  The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ....Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually."  Some may try, but you cannot separate the Resurrected Body of Christ from His Church, Which is, "the body of Christ."  Jesus said He lives in me, in you, in the, "general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven...."  Personally, I greatly delight in the implications and reality of, "Christ in you (the Church), the hope of glory."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I ask that you help me and my friend to continue to serve Your Church.  Amen.
******************
You Can Access Bonhoeffer's Article at: www.jerberwash.blogspot.com
Unreached People Group of the Day: www.apfunreachedpeoples.blogspot.com

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive