Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, June 29, 2012

Nothing "Vain" About This Repetition

"Every day will I bless thee; and I will praise thy name for ever and ever." (Psalm 145:2b)

Here we are at the end of the month and my "favorite" Psalm, if one is allowed to have such.  No greater expression of praise has been ever uttered, and I plan to utter it until I depart this life and join the, "ever and ever," chorus in Glory.  

I have said this before, that one could say I repeat myself.  I confess, yes I do------ and so does the Bible.  The Word of God, Jesus Christ, has seen fit to add nothing to what He has already said.  Beware, therefore, of "new" words which are not rooted in the "old" words, the Scriptures.  The NLT has an interesting perspective on 1 John 2:7,8, "Dear friends, I am not writing a new commandment for you; rather it is an old one you have had from the very beginning.  This old commandment-- to love one another-- is the message you heard before.  Yet it is also new.  Jesus lived the truth of this commandment, and you also are living it.  For the darkness is disappearing, and the true light is already shining."  It is as E. Stanley Jones said, "The Word became flesh in Jesus, and continues to become flesh in us." 

So repetition of our text and any other portion of Scripture is in many ways not repetition; it is "moment by moment" new, alive, fresh.  I repeat breathing every few seconds, and every breath is new, refreshing, invigorating.  Yet without this repetition over and over and over in my being, there would be no life, in fact my life would stop, I would cease to exist.  If any persons every grew tired or bored with this process of life, it would be the end of them, so too in the spirit; therefore, "I will extol Thee, My God, O King; and I will bless Thy Name for ever and ever.  Every day will I bless Thee; and I will praise Thy Name for ever and ever," and ever and ever and ever and...................................... 

Father, in Jesus' Name, enable me to, "speak of the glorious honor of Thy majesty, and of Thy wondrous works," over and over and over.  Amen.
*************
I ask prayer for the next three Sundays.  I will be preaching in the meetings of three congregations.  
July 1: Renewed Strength Church, Westville, Ohio, Pastor Mark
July 8: Covenant Church East, Greensburg, PA., Pastor Jim
July 15: Amsterdam Covenant Church, Amsterdam, Ohio, Pastor Mike
Thanks in advance.
2 Perspectives on Recent Court Ruling: www.jerberwash.blogspot.com
Unreached People Group of the Day: www.apfunreachedpeoples.blogspot.com


When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive