Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

"The Fragrance of Christ"

"Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place.  For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing.  To the one we are the aroma of death leading to death, and to the other the aroma of life leading to life.  And who is sufficient for these things?" (2 Corinthians 2:14-16)

I had this literally manifest many years ago when I came into a room where people were praying for a demon possessed man.  When I walked in, he said, "See that?  When he walked, in, I smelled death."  That'll get your attention.  But immediately the Holy Spirit brought our text to mind.

"We are to God the fragrance of Christ...."  The Bible tells us that, "Christ, our Passover, was sacrificed for us," and it is often said in the Old Covenant, when the sacrifice was offered it was, "a sweet aroma," to our Father.  Jesus Christ is our Sacrifice of, "a sweet aroma."  Sometimes I look at my life and wonder, "Is this really what/who I am to Father?"  Our text affirms with a resound, "Yes."  Jesus Christ, living and reigning in me is, "the fragrance."  If it were I alone-------- well, what that must be to our Father.  "But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of Him everywhere (ESV)."

The reality of our text leads me to do what Paul admonishes us in 2 Cor., "Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselvesOr do you not recognize this about yourselves that Jesus Christ is in you--- unless indeed you fail the test."  This is the, "test," of faith: "Jesus Christ is in you," reigning, leading, setting the "agenda" for the day, moment by moment.

Do not let the world's opinion of you determine your day, e.g., "See that?  When he walked in I smelled death."  Indeed they will, because the Bible says they will.  But look for those who say in their hearts at least, "See that?  When he/she walked in I 'smelled' life."  There, my friend, is either a Follower of Jesus, or one who is, "not far from the Kingdom."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I don't even want to imagine what fragrance follows me apart from You.  But help me today to experience, "the fragrance of Christ," in Your People.  Amen.
***********
Devotional Archive:   www.apfdevotionals.blogspot.com
Read of the Increasing Rise of Islamic "No-Go Zones: www.apf327.blogspot.com 


When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive