Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, July 28, 2011

"Panic The Enemy in Battle"

"Blow the trumpet in Zion...." (Joel 2:1a)

I have recently "dusted off" my rotary valve German-made trombone.  It has been years since I played it.  I used to lead worship with a trumpet many, many years ago, then a valve trombone in another parish.  There are powerful "roles" for the trumpet and horn in Scripture.  Shofars, for instance, were used to give warnings, summons, and as one source I read reported, "panic the enemy in battle."  The article goes on to say that "the Shofar is of martial origin, and was a priestly instrument in Biblical times."  Some of the Shofars in historic Judaism have a "middle brass" range.  I have always had a particular "worship experience" when I play the horn.  I wonder.............  Maybe there are things we love, not just for "fleshly" reasons, but for Kingdom reasons.

The call of the prophet in our text is to, "Blow the trumpet in Zion, and sound an alarm....For the day of the LORD is coming...."  The context is definitely of coming judgment.  Notice a second call for the horn, however, later in the chapter, "Blow the trumpet in Zion, consecrate a fast, call a sacred assembly; gather the people, sanctify the congregation, assemble the elders, gather the children and nursing babes....Let the priests, who minister to the LORD, weep between the porch and the altar; let them say, 'Spare Your people, O LORD, and do not give Your heritage to reproach, that the nations should rule over them.'" 

Notice then the response of the Living Triune God to such repentance, "Then the LORD will be zealous for His land, and pity His people.  The LORD will answer and say to His people, 'Behold, I will send you grain and new wine and oil, and you will be satisfied by them....I will remove far from you the northern army, and will drive them away'....Fear not, O land, be glad and rejoice, for the LORD has done marvelous things!"  As I play the horn today in worship, repentance, and intercession, I believe I have the right to believe that the Lord Jesus Christ will do for any nation, which so responds to the trumpet call of our text, what He promised to Ancient Israel.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I pray Your Words in Joel for the United States of America, that Your Church in America will so respond as Your Word declares, and I join my Brethren in other nations for the same.  Amen.
******************
Read of what Hillary threatens a veto at:   www.apf327.blogspot.com

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive