Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, June 16, 2011

God's Laws Are Not the Problem--I'm the Problem

"This only I want to learn from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?" (Galatians 3:2)

This is obviously a rhetorical question.  Can I suggest, though, that we hear by faith, but walk by obedience, obedience to the laws, the commands of Jesus Christ.  Jesus never, ever offered suggestions.  He always offered humanity commands, and these commands, "are not grievous;" they bring us out of the bondage of the rebellion of our sin and disobedience.

The reference to the law in Romans speaks of, "the righteous requirement of the law."  This, "righteous requirement," was fulfilled in Jesus Christ so that it then might continue to be fulfilled in those who follow Jesus, "who walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit."  The law was never the problem.  It has always been you and me----- "Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good" (Notice, this is present tense, not past).  As a Believer in Jesus Christ, I must never, ever forget this.  

Too many in evangelicalism have spoken of the law over the years as though it were the culprit in man's dilemma, not man himself.  God never did anything bad.  He is good and He can only do good.  Jesus never spoke disparagingly of law, only of breaking the law.  
I have had people say to me over the years, "You are trying to bring me under the law."  It always has been those who wanted to live apart from any constraint who said this.  People like that seem to think that the Kingdom of Heaven, the Government of God is a sort of lawless kingdom.  Now I know the evangelical in you is probably saying, "But I am not saved by the law."  No, we are saved by grace and kept by grace.  But in His grace is His "Law-Word" which keeps me from, "the sin which so easily ensnares us."  I never knew a person who "fell" who obeyed the "Law-Word" of God.  A person always "fell" because he neglected the grace in the Laws of God.

Now, take a deep breath, get out of that evangelical cliche-catch-word world and search the Scriptures.  Perhaps there will be a new love and appreciation for the laws, the commands of the Living Triune God.  Commands are not an Old Testament phenomenon.  The New Testament is based solely on commands.  "Oh, how I love Your law!  "It is my meditation all the day." 

Father, in Jesus' Name, I realize that when I speak of grace and law as opponents, I am really just fighting You.  May that never be my life.  Amen.
*********************
Read of the Growing Wave of Anti-Semistism in America-- Type   apf327.blogspot
in your search bar.  It should come up, Woody Barnette's Blog.  Click on that and you should receive it.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive