Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, June 13, 2011

"All Day Long...All Day Long"

"Be merciful to me, my God, for my enemies are in hot pursuit; all day long they press their attack.  My adversaries pursue me all day long....But God will shoot them with his arrows....He will turn their own tongues against them and bring them to ruin...." (From Yesterday and Today's Psalms Readings, Psalm 56-65, NIV)

This is life--- "All day long....all day long."  Now this may seem depressing, but only to those who do not realize that, "the battle is not yours, but God's."  

Our enemies are driven by a commander who knows no rest, no days off, no vacations, no, "Well, I've been in this fight an awfully long time.  I think I need a rest."  Jesus tells us that even though, "....a man...sowed good seed in his field;..while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares...."  This is historic, basic military tactics.  Most major military attacks throughout history took place, "while men slept."  Someone once said that war was days of endless boredom broken by moments of shear terror.  The problem is that those days of endless boredom are days when the enemy is just regrouping for another offensive. U. S. Grant once said that "in every battle there comes a time when both sides believe they are losing; then he who presses the attack wins."  Paul said, "I press on," the word for, "press," is a military term

Now this is maybe not want you wanted to hear on a Monday, or any day.  But we are at war and the war has been raging from the Garden to this moment.  We are exhorted in Scripture to, "run this race with our eyes fixed on Jesus."  Strong's says that the word translated, "race," here means "conflict, contention, fight."  Too many when they hear the word, "race," think of some footrace we used to run in the playgrounds as children.  This is not that kind of race.  This is an, "all day long....all day long," "conflict, contention, fight"-------------------- "race."

The good news for you and me today is that even though our enemy intends to, "topple me from my lofty place," our Lord Jesus Christ will, "shoot them with His arrows....He will turn their own tongues against them."  Don't fight His battles.

Father, in Jesus' Name, keep me ever mindful that, "the battle is not [mine]," but Yours.  Amen.
***********
Please pray for the DC Prayer Mission, this Wednesday, June 15

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive