Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, February 14, 2011

A Testimony to God's "Yet"

"You brought us into the net; you laid a crushing burden on our backs; you let men ride over our heads; we went through fire and through water; yet you have brought us out to a place of abundance." (Psalm 66:11, 12- ESV)

There is a, "You brought," and a, "You let," in our text.  It is rather a theological nightmare for people who want God to be "consistent" to read of the fact that He some times "brings," and some times "allows."  Ah, then there is the, "through fire and through water," of life.  If you are a human being who has lived very many years at all, you know of such journeys, some more painful than others, some seem as though they will never end.  Yet, here we are.

I was in Prague, Czechoslovakia, in September of 1985, having been invited to attend the 100th anniversary of the Czech Baptist Church.  I had just come from Morocco where I had spent a week with one of our missionaries, and had the chance to spend some great time with three young men, Arab Believers who were former Muslims.  I still pray for them.  I had become very sick, lost weight, couldn't eat, and hardly slept for several days due to an air traffic controllers' strike in France.  At any rate, here I was now in Prague.  The President of the Baptist Church asked me to share some greetings with the 1500+ participants gathered.  He also asked a man with Open Doors to share, but he had declined because he was involved with Bible "smuggling," as I was; so, he decided to share a song instead.  Even though I knew there were "secret police" in the meeting, I felt strongly that the Lord Jesus would have me to speak.  Physically I felt very weak, I just wanted to sleep and feel better.  But when they introduced me and I started to get up, at that moment I felt a physical surge of strength in my body.  I shared for less than five minutes, bringing greetings from the Church in the United States of America and Morocco, telling them of the love and prayers for them of many Believers in America.  I don't remember much more, but I do remember my last words.  "Jesus Christ lives; Jesus Christ reigns; Praise be to our Lord Jesus Christ."  The gathering erupted in praise and applause and came to their feet, giving glory to the King of Nations.  With communists, police, and government officials scattered throughout the audience, I bore witness to King Jesus and His Kingdom.  I thought, No matter what happens, this is worth it.  I shall never forget that moment.  In weakness, I was made strong.  Jesus, "brought [me] out to a place of abundance"!!

Over 25 years have come and gone, and I went on to more and more Bible smuggling, teaching in an underground seminary program, took Bibles into Iran, and many more forays into "enemy territory."  In my life time, I have been in, "the net;" I have had the, "crushing burden on [my] back[];" He has, "let men ride over [my] head;" I have been, "through fire and through water; yet...."-- Oh, the blessed, "yet," of The Living Triune God.  My dear Fellow Believer in Jesus Christ, if you are in the, "net," if there is, "a crushing burden on [your] back[]," if you are in, "fire," and, "water"------------ God's, "yet," is awaiting you.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I thank You beyond words for Your faithful, "yet."  Amen.
*************************
Two New Great Articles at:   www.apf327.blogspot.com

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive