Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

"Run Swiftly"

"Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may run swiftly and be glorified, just as it is with you." (2 Thess. 3:1)

There is a sense of urgency here in Paul's writing.  The phrase translated, "run swiftly," speaks "of persons in haste, of those who run in a race, of doctrine rapidly propagated, by a metaphor taken from runners in a race, to exert one's self, strive hard, to spend one's strength in performing or attaining something."  The "word occurs in Greek writings denoting to incur extreme peril, which it requires the exertion of all one's effort to overcome." (Whew!)

For those of you who are following my New Testament reading schedule, I read one chapter in the Gospels and 2 in the Acts through Revelation portion.  I do, however, split the latter, reading one chapter in Acts-Ephesians, and one in Philippians-Revelation; hence, the reading of our text the other day.  It brought a renewed sense of urgency in reaching the world and exhorting, warning, and encouraging the Church.  It also quickened the urgency to be "on the ground" in Berlin, Jerusalem, and Washington, DC, as well as "intense" Bible reading and the corresponding "prophetic" praying, prompted by His Words.  This is my call, my service to you, the Church, "the Kingdom of Our Lord and of His Christ," and the world.  If it sounds a little presumptuous, I don't think so.  When Wesley said, "the world is my parish," it was not ego which drove him to say that; it was the Lord Jesus Christ, the command of His Words, and a world "in sin and error pining."

To those of you who support us on a regular basis, I want to thank you from the bottom of our hearts.  Ours is not a popular service in the Church.  It doesn't seem to produce "tangible evidence" of "success"-------- but it does!  Everything in the Bible says it does.  When I pray over a meal I always think of Paul's statement concerning the food we eat, "It is sanctified by the word and prayer."  Can we realize how many people and nations we pray for are, "sanctified by the word and prayer?"

Father, in Jesus' Name, how I do so very much need You and Your Words.  Without them I am lost; without them, and Him, "The Word of God," Your only revealed Son, Jesus, I am absolutely nothing.  Amen.
***********************
If You Want Some Prayer Points, Go To:   www.apf327.blogspot.com

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive