Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, January 17, 2011

John 17-- "Formal Aggrement or Harmony Between People or Groups"

"Then the contention became so sharp that they parted from one another.  And so Barnabas took mark and sailed to Cyprus." (Acts 15:39)

This passage is often used to justify "differences of opinion," denominations, and the plague of church splits which has ransacked Christendom over the centuries and America, particularly over the last 40 years.  For me, it is just another way of expressing the principle of a people not under authority, "every man did what was right in his own eyes."  It reveals the American philosophy of "you do your thing; I'll do mine."

I am not claiming to be above this.  I am claiming, however, that I want nothing to do with this.  This is not the Blessed Trinity's Heart.  If I want to be as David, "a man who had God's heart," then I read, pray, declare, and live Jesus' prayer in John 17, "that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me..., that they may be one just as We are one," literally, "made into a unit," or "union, concord."  People say this automatically happens when we all get saved.  I don't believe it.  It is integral to, "work out your salvation." 

The word which scholars use to describe the Greek word in our text, "concord," is an interesting word.  It means a "formal agreement or harmony between people or groups, grammar agreement between words, in gender, number, case, person, or any other grammatical category that affects the forms of words.  Music chord that is pleasing or satisfactory in itself"--- would be an interesting study for marriages and churches.

Father, in Jesus' Name, grant all the grace you can for me to walk in this with my Fellow Followers of Jesus Christ.  Amen.
*********************
News, Commentary:   www.apf327.blogspot.com    

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive