Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, January 27, 2011

"How Do You Read It?"

"LORD, my heart is not proud; my eyes are not haughty.  I don't concern myself with matters too great or awesome for me."
(Psalm 131:1, NLT)
 
One of the greatest pitfalls of people who see themselves as "mature Christians" is that there are no, "matters too great or awesome for me."  In Christendom there are many people, some in leadership, some not, who leave the unmistakable impression in their wake that our text does not apply to them.  Their life's "counsel" or advice all leave an unmistakable impression, "I've got a handle on this.  I'll work you through it."  Our text for them reads, "My heart is...proud; my eyes are...haughtyWhat a Mr. or Mrs. or Ms. answer person fails to realize is that they deceive people into believing that you really don't have to think for yourself, or if you do, don't worry, they've got you covered.   
 
The longer I live, I have absolutely no illusion of my finite, limited understanding and ability to deal with, well, life in general.  Have you ever noticed that just about the time you have those, "matters too great or awesome for me," figured out, something inevitably happens which shouts, "No, you don't?"  There is only One Who can "operate" with absolute certainty in, "matters too great or awesome," Our Lord Jesus Christ.  It is no cliche, Our God knows, "the end from the beginning."  Yet did you ever notice in the Gospels how at times Jesus said to people something similar to what He said to a lawyer one day, "What is written in the law?  How do you read it" (NIV)? 
 
I have found over the years that the vast majority of people who seek "counsel" already know what they should do.  While it is true that some just look for an excuse for their behavior, most others just need a confirmation for the decision they have already chosen.  Psalm 48 says, "For this is God, Our God forever and ever; He will be our guide even to death."  Beware any in your life who claim such authority, "with matters too great or awesome for me." 
 
Father, in Jesus' Name, please help me to recognize "matters too great or awesome for me."  Amen.
******************************
Read of Iranian Warships Headed to Red Sea and the Mediterranean @
 
 
When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking Unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive