Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

"I...Lifted My Eyes to Heaven, And My Understanding Returned to Me"

"And at the end of the time I, Nebuchadnezzar, lifted my eyes to heaven, and my understanding returned to me; and I blessed the Most High and praised and honored Him who lives forever: For His dominion is an everlasting dominion, and His kingdom is from generation to generation."  (Daniel 4:34b)
 
If one just read the latter part of our text, he might think it is from the Psalms.  But as we see, it is from a very pagan king of antiquity who came to a great realization that you just cannot fight God, though, he certainly tried.
 
I saw on "Facebook" that someone "likes" a postmodern writer.  Of course they do, and why not?  Someone wrote that reality for the postmodernist "is constructed as the mind tries to understand its own particular and personal reality.  For this reason, postmodernism is highly skeptical of explanations which claim to be valid for all groups, cultures, traditions, or races, and instead focuses on the relative truths of each person," you know, sort of like Adam and Eve--------- and Nebuchadnezzar.  Who wouldn't like someone who propagates the relativity of truth?  Then they can be their own truth, set their own life's goals, and ignore, "the Most High." 
 
Regardless, whatever is touted as postmodern is really not so "post" anything; it is as old as the human race.  But academics love to think they are the discoverers of some "new thing," just at those on Mars Hill.  It gives them uniqueness, draws attention to themselves, and attracts far more followers than those of, "I am the...truth."  My dear friend, truth is not innate to you and me.  Truth is "outside" us.  If man is to walk in truth, He Who Alone is Truth must come into him.  The Bible teaches that at a point in antiquity Truth was manifested, not as garbled philosophy, but a Person, Jesus Christ, revealer of the Godhead in the flesh.     
 
The context of our text reveals that people have not changed.  They can be God-resistors, even God-haters.  But the very God they resist loves them, and through a series of "events" will bring them to Himself in Jesus Christ, the Blood of His Cross, and resurrection, if, they are as Nebuchadnezzar, "I...lifted my eyes to heaven, and my understanding returned to me...."  Understanding is before us continually, ready for the taking.  All I need do is embrace that, "understanding," the understanding that I am not truth; Jesus Christ is Truth.
 
Father, in Jesus' Name, thank You that when I stray, there is a possibility that, "my understanding return[s] to me."  Amen.
***************************
Read about drug mules crossing into Arizona at:
  
When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking Unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive