Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

"Measuring...Comparing"

"For we dare not class ourselves or compare ourselves with those who commend themselves.  But they, measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise."(2 Cor.10:12)

As I approach the end of the quarter, I recently read our text.  This is indeed a bad practice.  Yet it happens with too much frequency.  It is also the reason so many people are not "themselves."  They don't value the unique work which Jesus Christ has brought about in their lives; therefore, they preach like others, testify like others, use cliche rhetoric, sound like others, attempt to live like others.  The motive is clear and simple; they want to be accepted in certain circles.  This is the "bad" aspect of our text.  But there is a good sense of "measuring" and "comparing."

Every time I see my "mail signature" at the bottom of my composition, I am deeply moved--- and convicted.  While I can engage in the practice mentioned in our text, and come off looking like a relatively accomplished disciple, that does nothing for me as I "stand" before the Savior.  The attempt to best others is not the life of the Kingdom of Heaven.  But, the, "working out," of the Hebrew text, "Remember those who led you, who spoke the Word of God to you; and considering the result of their conduct, imitate their faith," well, that is a very different matter.  Peter Torjesen's, "and my life," "spoke the Word of God," to me.  I have considered, "the result of [his] conduct," and I greatly desire to, "imitate [his] faith."

Father, in Jesus' Name, "and my life" to You.  Amen.
**************************************
News, Updates: www.apf327.blogspot.com
Prophetic Video: www.antipasprayerforce2.blogspot.com
Devotional Archive: www.apfdevotionals.blogspot.com

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive