Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

"Mercy And Truth...Preserve Him"

"Oh, prepare mercy and truth, which may preserve him!" (Psalm 61:7b)
 
"Mercy and truth," are interwoven.  Both, "may preserve him!"  One without the other, however, may destroy him.  "Mercy triumphs over judgment," but not over truth.  The translations which say, "For we can do nothing against the truth, but only for the truth," are correct.  The Greek construction contrasts, "against the truth," with, "for the truth."   
Truth cannot be changed.  Judgment can.  Truth is the "immovable object" against which there is no "irresistible force."  Everyone wants mercy, but few want truth.  Yet our text indicates the relationship of the two.  Maybe the reason men cry so much for mercy is that they walk so little in Truth.  
The popular quote, "It is easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission," is the modus operandi of pop Christianity.
 
One of the most powerful dialogues in cinematic history is from, "The Godfather III."  In irony of life, Michael approaches a cardinal in the Catholic Church about corruption in the Vatican.  The Cardinal begins the dialogue with an illustration.  He takes a small stone from a water bowl and breaks it.  He points out that the stone has been in the water for a long time, but the water has not penetrated the stone, "Inside it is completely dry."  He then says, "The same thing has happened in Europe.  For centuries they have been surrounded by Christianity, but Christ has not penetrated, Christ doesn't live within them."  It is still true today.  With all the confessions, indulgences, absolutions, catechisms, all the worship, dancing and shouting, all the praying, all the prophetic declaration, all the good works------------------------------------ "Christ has not penetrated."     
 
Our Lord Jesus Christ asked Father to, "Sanctify them in Your truth.  Your word is truth."  It is Truth which saves me and sanctifies me.  Of course I need Christ's mercy at all times.  Most of the time, however, mercy is what I need when I fail to walk in Truth.  To many it sounds so "compassionate" to speak of mercy, and so harsh to speak of truth.  I confess, I need all the mercy I can get, but so of truth.  The summation of our text for me is---------------- "Mercy and truth preserve [me]."
 
Father, in Jesus' Name, I am continually amazed at Your Word, "lamp to my feet, light to my path."  Amen.
************************************************
Updated Prophetic News at:    www.apf327.blogspot.com
 
 
When an 18 year old Norwegian "heard the call to evangelize China, he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking Unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive