Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

"The Light Shines..,But The Darkness Has Not Understood It"

"O LORD, our Lord, how excellent is Your name in all the earth,  Who have set Your glory above the heavens....When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, the moon and the stars, which You have ordained; What is man, that You are mindful of him?" (From Psalm 8, KJV) 

I woke up last night around 03:00.  I did not fall back to sleep very soon, so I communed, as the hymn writer said, "as friend with friend."  At one point I said, "It's a wonder that You even know I'm here."  Then our text came to mind. 

I have read that the nearest star to earth is 4.3 light years away.  That is over 24,000,000,000,000 miles.  One astronomer said, "and that's just barely outside of our front door."  The Andromeda Galaxy, twice as massive as our own, is 2.5 million of these light years away.  It is claimed that it can be seen with the naked eye.  I wonder what David would have said had he known that. 

You simply cannot call Jesus a great teacher, a great historic figure and reject His claims-- "
Before Abraham was, I AM....Whoever lives
and believes in Me shall never die
....He who has seen Me has seen the Father" (John 8, 11, 14).  Jesus is the One of Whom the Word declares, "in Him were all things created, in the heavens and upon the earth, things visible and things invisible...." (Col 1: 16, ASV) The
infinite Universe is the, "
work of His hand" (Isaiah 64).  Many people today and historically have spoken very loftily of Jesus and the Bible, yet have lived lives under their own lordship.  This is the classic "double talk."  They have just never considered His claim to the night sky------- and our lives.  "All things were made by [Jesus] and without [Jesus] was not anything made that was made" (John 1:3).
"
Come to Me...and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11:28).

Look up tonight, search for that 4.3 light year star.  How very close indeed it is to us.  Then consider the report that the farthest star is 31 billion of these light years away.  I simply say that if it were not for Jesus, I could not believe a Being so "great," so "
excellent" can exist.  But in Jesus I see Him now; I know Him now, and I love Him now,------- my Reason for living.

Father, in Jesus' Name, if I could be so presumptuous-- What a great idea to come to us in Jesus!  I could not believe without Him.  Amen.
*******************************

When Peter Torjesen, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive