Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, February 1, 2010

"In Seasons of Distress and Grief, My Soul Has Often Found Relief"

"Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness!  You  have relieved me in my distress; have mercy on me, and hear my prayer." (Psalm 4:1)

"It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.'  I do not agree.  The wounds remain.  In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessons.  But it is never gone" (Rose Kennedy).  I saw this quote the other day at the close of a TV program, and my first reaction was one of agreement.  Even though this has always been man's remedy to the "pain" of life, attempting to survive life's most horrid battles, there is painful honesty here.    

Have you ever noticed that the Bible never attempts to hide the range of human emotion, even in its "greatest" saints?  So why do so many Christians think they have to live in denial?  Is it to impress other Christians?  No wonder so many in the world system who are searching for the truth cannot find it with so many professing Christians and their churches. 

To Rose Kennedy it was, "the mind, protecting its sanity," by covering the "wounds...with scar tissue."  But for me, survival is, Jesus, "
You have relieved me in my distress."  I agree with Rose, "The pain...is never gone."  But I can say also with the hymn writer,
          "In seasons of distress and grief,
          My soul has often found relief,
          And oft escaped the tempter's snare,
          By thy return, sweet hour of prayer!"
Whatever form prayer takes in your life, it all comes back to dwelling in our Father in Jesus Christ, in the Holy Spirit, our Comforter, our Advocate, abiding in Jesus and His Words abiding in us.  In all of my life, I have found nothing or no one who can bring relief from incurable, "seasons of distress and grief," as our Wonderful, Living Triune God.  Scars and pain may remain, but so does, "
You have relieved me in my distress."

Father, in Jesus' Name, What else can I say?  Thank You.  Amen.
****************************
www.antipasprayerforce.blogspot.com
www.apfdevotionals.blogspot.com
www.antipasprayerforce2.blogspot.com

When Peter Torjesen, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive