Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, January 18, 2010

Questions or Praise, Which Will Dominate Your Life?

"You, O Lord, are good.... There is none like you among the gods, O Lord, nor are there any works like yours." (Psalm 86:8, ESV)

The tragedy in Haiti is before the world.  There are people asking how God could allow this to happen, accusing Him of merciless treachery.   Yet, there are Haitian Followers of Jesus Christ who are uttering the words of our text.

If you look closely at David's life, you realize that his statements of the goodness of His Good Shepherd were not idle, flippant, religious gobbledygook.  They were from a life of first, "
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.  He makes me lie down in green pastures.  He leads me beside still waters.  He restores my soul.  He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake."  Then, when the inevitable, "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death," came upon him, he could say what only those who know the "Good Shepherd," Jesus Christ, can say with any deep certainty, "I fear no evil."  And I remind all, David not only feared "no evil," He did not rail on His Shepherd for "allowing" it to come. 

If you look at the experience of the Jews and Followers of Jesus Christ through the centuries, you could come to the conclusion of those who know not Christ-- "Where was God?"  But if we, "
run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus," we will just keep saying with David, even in the midst of the unthinkable,  "There is none like you among the gods, O Lord, nor are there any works like yours."

Father, in Jesus' Name, even though I may not "understand" them all, I say with David, there are no "
works like Yours."  Amen.
****************************


Eighteen year old Norwegian, Peter Torjesen, "when he heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"
"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive