Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, August 21, 2009

"I Love Thy Kingdom, Lord....I Love Thy Chruch, Oh God"

"I commend to you Phoebe our sister, who is a servant of the church in Cenchrea....Greet Priscilla and Aquila...and the church that is in their house." (From Romans 16:)

Most people are probably bored and not particularly "blessed" with a devotional which speaks of the Church.  After all, particularly most charismatics have been running from the Church ever since they "saw the light."  Yet Jesus came to, "
build My Church." It is Jesus Christ and His Kingdom and His Church which dominates the New Testament.  

We have so demonized the "organizational church" that most people
have difficulty seeing any value in the Historic Church.  What most are not aware of, and what our text and the rest of the Bible reveals, is that there are only two designations of a church, a town, "
the church in Cenchrea," and house, "the church that is in their house."  Most Americans do not choose a church on this basis.  More likely it is, "Well, how is the 'worship?'-- or, "How good is the infant care and the youth ministry?"-- or, can I be recognized and exercise all my great gifts?" Of course, and perhaps most harshly, "the pastor is just too....."

Jesus sent His disciples to "
Feed My lambs" and "take care of my sheep," i.e., His Church.  The words used for "feed" or "take care of," are pastoral, reflecting a shepherd's selfless life with his sheep. This is giving, serving.  Jesus Christ is, "the Great Shepherd of the sheep."  Serving Jesus means living in His Heart, "Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends."  Look at Christ's Church this way, serve this way, grow up this way------ we will then manifest the Heart of God.

"I love Thy Kingdom, Lord, the house of Thine abode,
the Church our blest Redeemer saved with His own precious blood.

"I love Thy Church, O God; Her walls before Thee stand
Dear as the apple of Thine eye, and graven on Thy hand

"For her my tears shall fall, For her my prayers ascend;
Her sweet communion, solemn vows, her hymns of love and praise.

"Beyond my highest joy I prize her heav'nly ways,
Her sweet communion, solemn vows, Her hymns of love and praise.

"Sure as Thy truth shall last, to Zion shall be giv'n
The brightest glories earth can yield, and brighter bliss from heav'n."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I want to be a servant of the Church....." Amen
************************** 
Good stuff at:     www.antipasprayerforce.blogspot.com

"Looking Unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive