Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

"Can God Spread a Table in the Desert?"

"Can God spread a table in the desert?"  (Psalm 78:19-NIV)

This is not just about finances.  It's about the whole of life's "
table."

When I read this during my monthly Psalms reading, I experienced tears of gratitude-------------- and repentance at the thought that I might have ever entertained this question, at least in my heart.  After all the Living Triune God has done and provided for the human race, His Faithfulness, Compassion, Deliverance, Provision, do we still have the gall to ask, "
Can God spread a table in the desert?"  Don't we know that is His specialty?!?  Isn't that where He found you and me, a desert, lonely, waste place, lost, "without hope and without God in the world?"  Wasn't it "in the desert" that Jesus Christ "spread" His grace, mercy, and forgiveness for you and me?

"
Can God spread a table in the desert?"  Jesus Christ has given the human race absolutely no reason to ask such a thing.  "He took our sins in His Own Body on the Tree."  He "bore our griefs and carried our sorrows....He was pierced through for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the chastening ('with blows') for our well-being -------fell upon Him...."  The Hebrew word translated, "well-being," here is Shalom, and it means so much more than, peace.  It means "to be safe in mind, body, or estate," to be "well, happy, friendly," to have "health, prosperity," and of course, "peace." 

If mankind is without such blessing and favor, it is entirely his own choosing.  This "
table" is for everyone who ever lived, who now lives, and shall ever live on Planet Earth.  If any of us humans on the planet can still ask, "Can God spread a table in the desert?"------ may He have mercy on us all!

"
And now I will show you the most excellent way."  What more can we do than to offer the response of love, thanksgiving, worship:
     "When I think about the Lord (Jesus Christ),
     How He saved me, how He raised me,
     How He filled me, with the Holy Ghost.
     How He healed me, to the uttermost.
    
     "When I think about the Lord (Jesus Christ),
     How He picked me up and turned me around,
     How He placed my feet on solid ground

     "It makes me wanna shout,
     Hallelujah, Thank you JESUS,
     LORD, your worthy, of all the glory, and all the honor,
     and all the praise...."
**********************************************


"Looking Unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive