Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

How Do You Respond To Change?

"'For his letters,' they say, 'are weighty and powerful; but his bodily presence is weak, and his speech contemptible.'" (2 Cor. 10:10)
 
I am writing this in a "Starbucks" coffee shop.  What a day.  When I started in "full time" ministry over 45 years ago, I used a mimeograph machine to put out a bulletin.  We were on a "party line" phone system. If you were out and needed to call someone, that's right, the old smelly phone booth.  Of course, gasoline was only 25 cents a gallon, and I could go about 140 miles on a dollar's worth in our 1964 VW Bug.  My college tuition for a semester was $300.00.  No, your eyes are fine.  
 
45 years later, I am not preaching or teaching much by "bodily presence," but I am serving Believers in Jesus Christ through "letters" literally around the world, Europe, Africa, and who really knows where else.  I have people tell me that they forward these devotionals to their friends in "other countries."  I am thankful that I can be of whatever service I can to the People of Jesus Christ.  I have observed and learned over the years that adaptability is the key to "overcoming," to victory in life.  The greatest military commanders in history were those who went into battle with a plan, but were geniuses at adaptability.  Nagumo said of the Japanese plan for the attack on Midway in June of 1942, "Yes, we can achieve a great victory
------------ provided Nimitz and Halsey do exactly as you plan."  They didn't.  The rest is history. 
 
Many people rejected Paul's "speech," but "his letters" live on.  What has happened in your life which presented the need for change?  Have you?  Or do you just keep insisting that your original "plan" was good, and you just need to keep pressing through?  That approach can lead to a great defeat.  Sending things over the Internet does not do much for ego.  You don't know where they are going, or how they are received, you do not "see" or "hear" much response.  But then, why am I "in this?"  Well, I am not in a, "this."  I am in Jesus Christ, serving in His Kingdom and serving His Church just because of Him.  "Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only but to all them also that love his appearing."
 
Father, in Jesus' Name, faithfulness to You is enough.  Amen.
***********************************
 
 
 
"Looking Unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive