Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Highly Recommended Reading (Buckle Your Seat Belt!)

"Why do You stand afar off, O LORD?  Why do You hide Yourself in times of trouble?"
 
There are very few people alive, in reality, probably none who have never experienced this.  It appears as though the psalmist was experiencing what I have described before as "The Dark Night of the Soul."  This phrase is the title of a work I have decided to read, written by St. John of the Cross, a Carmelite priest of the 16th century.  Yes, I do recognize many deep theological issues in Catholicism, but as with many Catholic writers over the centuries, it contains some powerful truth.  The basic premise is that a person experiences "the dark night of the soul" when he is passing from a state of spiritual infancy to that of spiritual maturity, and the "loneliness and desolation" he experiences, not as a result of God's abandonment, but the shocking reality that he is nowhere near the "place" Jesus has for him.  
 
This work is so powerful that I am sending it to our devotional Blog site.  I highly recommend it.  Of course, read it with discernment.  Also, there are definite theological phrases which are unfamiliar to Protestants.  If you have any questions about it, please contact me.  I have not read it all yet, but what I have reveals a most insightful revelation of a Believer's spiritual journey.  This may be premature, but so far, I would place it in the category of My Utmost For His Highest.  It is that powerful.   
 
So, be not discouraged today, dear saint.  Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning....When I awake, I am still with You!"  There are times when Father may seem "afar off," but He never is.  He is here.  He is there.  He is the Eternal Self-Existent One.  He has come to us in Jesus, and has promised, "I will never, no never leave you nor forsake you."  And wonder of wonders, the Holy Spirit, Breath of God, is "with you and in you."
 
Father, in Jesus' Name, thank You for what I have read of this 16th century man.  I feel so far from the objective----------- but I press on.  Amen.
**********************************************
For the article mentioned above, go to: http://apfdevotionals.blogspot.com
News, Commentary:    www.antipasprayerforce.blogspot.com
 
 
 
"Looking Unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2


Worried about job security? Check out the 5 safest jobs in a recession.

Blog Archive