Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

"Time and Chance Happen"

"I have observed something else under the sun.  The fastest runner doesn't always win the race, and the strongest warrior doesn't always win the battle.  The wise sometimes go hungry, and the skillful are not necessarily wealthy.  And those who are educated don't always lead successful lives.  It is all decided by chance, by being in the right place right time."  (Ecc. 9:11-- NLT)

I have wrestled with our text all morning.  It is not something religious people like to consider.  Most translations are less blunt-- "
Time and chance happen to them all."  No matter.  This is a disturbing passage to life's control freaks. 

Some teach that the Proverbs, Song of Songs, Ecclesiastes reflect different "stages" in the journey of Solomon.  Some have said that we need to interpret these passages in light of that journey.  I know that some also say, "this is Old Testament," that we must interpret this passage fulfilled in the New Testament.  Yes, and that is? 

The real "problem" word here is, "
chance."  It stares at us down through the centuries.  What can it possibly mean?  To speak of "chance" just does not fit in our predictable theology.  It frightens most to consider there are some things which will occur, and no amount of praying, fasting, "faithing," will change them.  And there may be another humbling ingredient here.  "Chance" stuff was going on long before you and I were here, and if Jesus tarries, will continue after we are gone.  I could labor Hebrew and Latin roots of the word, but essentially they still come back to, "time and chance happen."

This is an unusual devotional, I know, and I hope and pray it does not leave you with despair.  It will not if for this coming year and the remainder of our pilgrimage here, we "
run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus," and not despair over "chance" stuff, not try to explain it, understand it, or try to save God's reputation by denying it.  I trust that it is not too simplistic for you to join me in saying with the hymn writer,
     "My faith has found a resting place- not in device or creed:
     I trust the ever-living One- His wounds for me shall plead.
     I need no other argument, I need no other plea;
     It is enough that Jesus died, and that He died for me."

Father, in Jesus' Name, whatever "
time and chance" there may be in life, I commit it all to You.  Amen.
*******************************
www.anitpasprayerforce.blogspot.com


"Looking Unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2



**************
New year...new news. Be the first to know what is making headlines. (http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026)

Blog Archive