Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, July 28, 2008

"Things Too Difficult For Me" (Quote From the Giant Slayer)

"O LORD, my heart is not proud, nor my eyes haughty; nor do I involve myself in great matters, or in things too difficult for me." (Psalm 131:1)

Out text is a problem for some.  We have a saying in America, "He got in over his head."  Now I know that in the last 40+ years there has been a movement in the Church which tells everybody that our text is "Old Testament," and they can now do everything and anything.  "
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me," and "nothing shall
be impossible for you
."  These "God-Breathed" Words are often used to justify the "I-can-do-anything" gospel," the gospel of the proud, the "eyes haughty," the "great matters" people, and those who are into "things too difficult for me," translated, "I really don't need anyone else," or, "I'm my own church."

Paul said to the Corinthian Church, "
But we will not boast beyond our measure, but within the measure of the sphere which God apportioned to us as a measure, to reach even as far as you."  Paul knew his "sphere and limitation."  I have run into more "burn out" cases, more backslidings, more "falls" because of a failure to heed the warning of the Beloved Apostle and David, the Giant Slayer.  There is indeed the impossible conquering power in Jesus Christ.  But there is no impossible conquering power to the person who is outside "the measure of the sphere which God apportioned to us...."  So, keep a humble heart, eyes "fixed on Jesus," and let the "great matters" and the "too difficult" for the proud.   

"God, I'm not trying to rule the roost, I don't want to be king of the mountain.  I haven't meddled where I have no business or fantasized grandiose plans." (The Message)---   And may it ever be so!-- In Jesus' Name, Amen.



**************
Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for FanHouse Fantasy Football today.
(http://www.fanhouse.com/fantasyaffair?ncid=aolspr00050000000020)

Blog Archive