Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

"Don't They Know It's the End of the World?"

"Man goes out to this work and to his labor until the evening." 
(Psalm 104:20)
 
This is a Tuesday.  It is the first day after an American holiday.  It is not the beginning of the week, the middle or end of the week.  It is a cloudy and cool day.  Good friends of ours lost their oldest child the other day.  "Wars and rumors of wars" rage around the world.  Gas prices still rising.  This is what the psalmist was talking about.  As cruel as it might seem to us, life goes on with or without me.  An old song says:
    "Why does the sun go on shining
    Why does the sea rush to shore
    ...Why do the birds go on singing
    Why do the stars glow above
    Don't they know its the end of the world
    ...I wake up in the morning and I wonder
    Why everything's the same as it was
    ....I can't understand, no, I can't understand
    How life goes on the way it does
This was the way I felt after our son died.  I woke up the next day, a Saturday, a gentile rain was coming down, just as though nothing had happened.  How can life, the world, people around me just go about every day life as before when mine was full of so much sorrow?  A retired pastor in his 90s came to our door that day and reminded me of what David said after he lost his son.  "I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me." 
 
I can tell you today that no matter what life has handed you, it is not "the end of the world."  You are on a journey, difficult and unforgiving as it may seem at times, a journey to "Him Who loved me and gave Himself for me," a journey of victory if we abide in and cling desperately to Jesus Christ, staying full of His Word.  Oral Roberts had a good word many decades ago.  "Today is the first day of the rest of your life"----- The Eternal Life in Jesus Christ, heading to our home in Heaven, where "friends will be there we have loved long ago, joy like a river around me will flow, yet just a smile from my Savior I know will through the ages be glory for me."  
 
Father, in Jesus' Name, don't ever allow me to think "it's the end of the world."  In You there is no "end," just constant beginnings.  Amen.




Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

Blog Archive