Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Obey Before You Understand

"Then I proclaimed a fast there, at the river Ahava, that we might humble ourselves before our God to seek from Him a straight and right way for us, our little ones, and all our possessions." (Ezra 8:21-- Amplified Bible)

To fast is to humble.  Not to fast is to humble not.  Fasting is a demonstration that I really believe Jesus' Word, "
Without Me you can do nothing."  Some time ago our pastor called for us to fast on Wednesdays of each week.  I remember the first time I fasted.  It was on a Monday 40 years ago.  I drank only water from 18:00 Sunday evening to 18:00 Monday evening.  A good friend and brother in our seminary and I agreed this is something we needed to do.  Monday evening, at 17:55 we were parked outside of the local Arby's.  Well, at least we got started.

Fasting should be always coupled with Scripture reading, prayer, worship.  Otherwise it is just a "holy diet."  There is great power in humbling oneself "
with fasting."  Fasting is an admission that really
only Jesus Christ can sustain me in life, and in the Bible fasting is concurrent with deep crises.  "
I humbled myself with fasting....I wept in my soul with fasting....The Jews were facing genocide in the time of Mordecai and Esther.  Esther sent out a desperate plea, "Fast for me; neither eat nor drink for three days, night or day...; and if I perish, I perish!"  Here's one in Isaiah 58:8 which has been affirmed by medical science-- "Then...your healing will quickly appear...."

I have an idea.  Stop looking for more books, tapes, reasons, and "leadings" on fasting and--------------------------- "
Just do it."

Father, in Jesus' Name, help me to obey before I understand.  Amen.



**************
It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice on AOL Money & Finance.
(http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001)

Blog Archive