Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, May 9, 2019

"Why...In Despair? Hope In God"

"Why are you bowed down ('in despair'), O my soulAnd why are you disquieted within meHope in God, for I shall yet praise Him for the help of His countenance, my God."  (Psalm 42:5)

Some may remember the song which was written for Frank Sinatra by Paul Anka, "My Way."  It could be the American "national anthem," perhaps the "anthem" of all humanists.  "My way" was never a good way.  It was self-made, self-perpetuating, self-aggrandizing.  Results, not good.  I'm sure you can identify with this. 

The psalmist asked himself as to why he was, "bowed down, in despair."  He could not understand why his soul was, "disquieted within [him]."  The Word for, "disquieted," can mean to, "murmur, to growl."  It is akin to an undercurrent of complaining and frustration.  Webster's says that the English word means, "a lack of peace."  This is what the life style of "My Way" produces.

Apparently the psalmist was able to "come to his senses" when he said, "Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him."  There are some variances in the translation of the next statement, but I believe this to be the best one, "....For the help of His countenance, my God."  The Word, "countenance," means, "Face," and is sometimes translated, "Presence."  The New Covenant "version" of this is in 2 Corinthians 4:6, "For it is the God Who commanded light to shine out of darkness, Who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the Face of Jesus Christ."  What Glorious, "Countenance"!

So there you have it, my friend.  "My Way" vs, "....the help of His Face."  The choice is continually ours.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I am so very grateful, "for the help of His Face...."  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive