Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, April 30, 2019

"....My Very Heart...."

"I am sending him--who is my very heart--back to you."  Philemon 12, NIV)

The NASB says, "I have sent him back to you in person, that is, sending my very heart."

In the movie, "Tombstone," at one point a character asked Holiday why he risked his life for Wyatt.  Holiday replied, "He's my friend."  The response of the inquisitor:  "H___, I have lots of friends."  Holiday:  "I don't."  This is the sad life of so very many on this planet.  What can you and I do to be a friend to the "Holidays" of this world?

Today's text is the very heart of, "koinonia," or, "fellowship," better translated, "participation."  Furthermore, I believe we are to see each other as, "friends," just as our Lord Jesus says of us, "You are My friends...."  This sounds to me like a warm relationship of care, compassion, yes, and love, expressed similarly as Paul's attitude toward Onesimus.  This is who you and I are in Jesus Christ.  We are Fellow Participants in Jesus Christ, and with one another, the Church.  The question which you and I need to ask ourselves today is, Is Paul's attitude towards Onesimus the same as yours and mine towards each other, towards Jesus' Church?  And, dare we even venture---- towards the lonely of the world?!? 

To say that we are all "different" is an understatement, but, of course, we are.  Now we all know that it is only "natural" to like some people more than others.  But we are not of the "natural."  We are of the Spirit.  My Dad used to say that we should "treat everyone alike."  That is quite a "bill to fill," but it is true Biblical Theology, "Love your neighbor (not just the ones we "like") as yourself."  And no one should ask, "And who is my neighbor?"  The answer would be the same as it was centuries ago. 

Okay, I admit; maybe I ventured today a little beyond our text.  I do believe, however, that the affection/love expressed in our text is nothing short of, "agape," the love of Jesus Christ, and that, "agape," manifested in and through us His Church; it is a powerful exemplar passage.  May we never, ever forget the Words of our Lord Jesus Christ, "....inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren (as the runaway slave, Onesimus) you did it to Me."  This is an oft quoted passage.  I wonder if it is oft done. 

Father, in Jesus' Name, I pray that Paul's attitude towards Onesimus be my attitude.  Amen. 
****************************************
We have had some change in plans concerning our possible move.  "The best laid plans"------?  Anyway, we are literally waiting on Jesus.  Prayers appreciated.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive