Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Waxing A Little Sentimental

"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to herHow often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willingSee Your house is left to you desolate; for I say to you, you shall see Me no more till you say, 'Blessed is He who comes in the Name of the Lord!'"  (Matthew 23:37-39

I thought of our text this morning when I saw our resident mother duck sitting on her eggs, right between our chimney and our porch!  "Authorities" on such matters claim that they are on the eggs for about a month, and very seldom leave.  Get the picture?!?

As I watched mommy duck sitting there, braving all kinds of weather, even potential predators, I thought of our very familiar text.  Here is Jesus, telling the Jewish People Group that He has longed to be like that mother duck, protecting them, keeping them warm, nurturing, and whatever else goes on when, "....a hen gathers her chicks under her wings."

To you and me:  I don't really have to go on and on, do I?  This is the Living Triune God of the Universe, Who rules that Universe, "....by the Word of His power," likening Himself to, "a hen."  Now maybe the more macho among us resist such imagery.  If so, I feel sorry for them.  We are not the "tough" people too many Christians like to display.  In the grand scheme of life, we are nothing more than those little chicks, needing warmth, protection, comfort and nourishment, and all of which is only in Jesus. 

Our Lord Jesus Christ said that when a person refuses His covering and protection, "Your house is left to you desolate."  Yet there is no desolation to those who live in the power of an ancient promise/covenant, "He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty....He shall cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you shall take refuge...."  Mrs. duck gave me a great perspective on this today.

Father, in Jesus' Name, thank You that You still teach me in parables.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive