Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

"....Man Can Endure...Sickness, But As For a Broken Spirit...."

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions....He who gives an answer before he hears, it is folly and shame to him....The spirit of a man can endure his sickness, but as for a broken spirit who can bear it?  (Proverbs 18:2, 13, 14, NIV)

V.2 is one of mankind's biggest issues.  Just listen to or watch any, and I mean ANY, talk show and I absolutely guarantee you that you will see vs. 2 played out.  Have you ever heard anyone respond, in a political discussion particularly, to the other person by saying, "You know; I have never thought of that.  Good point"?  I haven't. 

I have been involved in and observed discussions where people are waiting for others to finish what they are saying just so they can start telling you the most important opinion.  Not that I am that good of a listener, but I can tell you that I have received much, "understanding," from listening to people.

V. 13 is a sort of consequence to a not-listening-just-waiting-your-turn life style.   If I am not really listening to you, then whatever response I may have very likely is not dealing with what you have just said.  Beware of "counselors" who have the answer to your problem before you tell them.  This is especially dangerous with those whom we know the best.  "Well, I already know what your problem is, so let's just get to what I have to say."

V. 14 is Jesus' "specialty," and, I might add, the specialty of anyone in whom Jesus Christ lives.  Have you ever been in a discussion with someone, and they are just looking right through you?  They may ask you about your life, kids, work, etc., but everything in their demeanor says, "I really don't care."  This is not someone in whom Jesus Christ lives.  Be careful when we ask someone, "How are things."  They just may tell you; are you then ready?  This happened to me a few weeks ago with someone whom I have only met a couple of times.  When I asked him about his wife who had been in a bad accident, he told me.  He not only went in to great detail, but spoke of her history with a kidney transplant of which I was aware.  It was a classic, "That's more information than I needed."  Maybe it was, but it was just what he needed.

I listened and listened to him, knowing that if I even looked away for a moment to see all the activity going on around us, it would have devastated him.  I cannot imagine Jesus ever looking away from, "a broken spirit...."  And that is what I sensed, "....a broken spirit..," in not only him, but I saw it also in his wife.  Now they had that "cook-out" persona about them, but you could tell of the pain.

My only exhortation to you and me today is that we work at "allowing" our Lord Jesus to be a comfort/healing to, "a broken spirit who can bear it?"  They are everywhere.  You know my testimony.  I know of, "a broken spirit...."  But, thank our Lord Jesus, I also have a Listening, Caring, Loving, Indwelling Shepherd.

Father, in Jesus' Name, don't ever let me look right through someone.  Amen.
***********************
The October/November 2017 Berlin/Wittenberge Mission is getting closer.  All prayers greatly appreciated.  Now don't "look right through me."
Smiling face with halo
  
When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive