Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Beware Pop Theology

"But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by a human courtIn fact, I do not even judge myselfFor I know of nothing against myself, yet I am not justified by this; but He who judges me is the Lord."  (I Corinthians 4:3, 4)

The word for, "justified," here is the same Greek word used in Romans 5:1, "Therefore, having been justified (declared innocent, guiltless, absolved, acquitted) by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ."  The issue is, By whom am I, "justified"?  My, "having been justified," does not come from me, you, or anyone.  "....But He who judges ('examines, inquires into, investigates, questions) me is the Lord," Jesus Christ. 

I have heard people say over the years, "Well, I'm glad God knows my heart."  Which is usually code for, "I know my heart, and since God knows my heart, He knows I am 'innocent.'"  After hearing this too many times, I once said to a person who propounded such theology, "Yes, and that's what concerns me."  He had the look, "Say what?!?"  What most people mean by, "God knows my heart," is, "'My heart is pure'; ergo, I am, 'innocent.'"  This is very dangerous ground.  "My conscience," is not the "litmus test" of what, "....makes me innocent."  The "litmus text" is, "It is the Lord who judges me."

Only, "The Word of God," Who is Jesus Christ, can, "make me innocent."  To the degree I know and submit to Jesus' Words, is the degree to which I can walk in His "Ways."  If I am not committed to Jesus' Words, I can have no assurance of, "innocent."  I cannot know my heart any more than you can know yours.  Yes, we are called to walk, "circumspectly," to, "examine yourselves."  But no matter what we may find, or think we find, it is not our justification.  "It is the Lord Who judges me," the Lord Jesus Christ Who is my justification before the Living Triune God.  If there is any 'innocency," it is not my "clear conscience."  It is Jesus Blood on the Heavenly Mercy Seat, Jesus' Forgiveness, Jesus' Resurrection.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I could grow weary attempting to justify myself.  Thank You that You have done this.  Amen.
******************
Please pray for: September 9-18 & October 5-27

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive