Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

"The Friendship of the Lord"

"The friendship of the Lord is for those who fear Him, and He makes known to them His covenant." (Psalm 25:14, ESV)

There was a song which came out some years ago which had the line, "I am a friend of God."  I wonder if those who sang/sing it realize that friendship with God comes with a condition. "The friendship of the Lord is for those who fear Him."  So very many people are lonely today, yet reject, "The friendship of the Lord."

The Amplified Bible says, "The secret [of the wise counsel] of the Lord is for those who fear Him, and He will let them know His covenant and reveal to them [through His word] its [deep, inner] meaning."  The word for, "friendship," and, "secret," in the Hebrew speaks of intimacy.  Maybe this is a reason the Amplified translates some of the text, "[deep, inner]."

Everyone who has any desire, love, longing for relationship in the Godhead delights in our text.  No other religion offers, "friendship."  All religions which are based on anything, anyone other than Jesus Christ leave one empty, still longing for that, "friendship," that intimacy to which Jesus invites us, and for which Jesus shed His Blood, died and arose from the dead.

"Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friendsYou are my friends if you do what I command you....I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you."  So there it is again, "....if you do what I command you."  Now this is not "a hard saying," as some might think.  Living a life of disobedience to, "....what I command you," is self-destructive.  Walking in obedience to, "....and in His law does he meditate day and night," on the other hand, enables us to walk in Divine Friendship.

Father, in Jesus' Name, there is no greater joy than to be Your friend.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive