Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

"I"-"I"-"I"


"I made my works great, I built myself houses, and planted myself vineyards."(Ecclesiastes 2:4)

The NIV says, "I undertook great projects: I built...for myself...."  From what I gather in the Interlinear, it can mean, "I made to me...."

This attitude is the great nemesis of life, not just "religious life."  Everyone who does something, "....for myself/to me," Jesus teaches, "will lose it."  If I build with others and for others, "great projects," will last, will keep bearing fruit, will spread, even to other nations.  A life turned inward, will take its, "projects," with it when he/she dies.  Turn outward in attitude and service, and it is literally, "a gift that keeps on giving."

The "lesson," the life principle from our text is the same as that which our Lord Jesus Christ teaches, "Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself...and follow Me."  Key here is, "deny...and follow."  This is totally contrary to human nature.  This can only be a reality when human nature surrenders itself to Jesus' Nature.  "Christ in you," is the only way I can walk in, "deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow [Jesus]."  This life style is not who you and I are in ourselves.  It is only the life style of one "in whom Jesus Christ lives."   I still think the Global Church needs a "Followers Conference."

What are your "great works/projects," today?  For most of humanity, they are, "I built...to me...."  It's their career, whether "secular" or religious, it does not matter; it is still self-serving.  When our, "works/projects," are in reality for others, even when it is a vocation, it will bring more and greater rewards than the total working to build up one's 401k, one's "ministry," one's anything.  I was particularly caught today by the phrase, "to me."  Those who find life, as did Solomon, "meaningless," and, "vanity of vanities," are those who live, "to me."  Those who find life to be "satisfying," filled with purpose and joy, are those whose, "works/projects," are for the Church, the Kingdom, viz., others.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I reject a life, "to me."  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive