Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, April 11, 2016

"Arguing," Or, "Overwhelmed"

"When they came to the other disciples, they saw a large crowd around them and the teachers of the law arguing with them.  As soon as all the people saw Jesus, they were overwhelmed with wonder and ran to greet Him."  (Mark 9:14, 15--NIV)

Our pastor shared from Mark 9 yesterday.  He mentioned that while he was in seminary there was a lot of arguing going on.  I too remember those days; for me, I did not enjoy that.  I think sometimes in frustration I  manifested in "unspiritual" ways.  As is an "occupational habit," I took particular note of our text, and took some of his thoughts further. 

The Amplified says, "....questioning and arguing...."  This is a mental process.  Worship is a heart process, "....They were overwhelmed with wonder and ran to greet Him."  A person who spends more time in argument than in worship is a person whose life is lived in his mind.  Most of his/her response, not only to fellow humans, but also to our Lord Jesus Christ Himself, is in the reasoning of the mind.  I am not an arguer, but I do "operate" too much in the mental.  I don't want to admit that, but it is sometimes too obvious.  I have purposefully been doing this quarter's reading since the first of the month in the KJV.  I am reading more with worship in mind than with some mental comprehension.  Yes, we are to, "get wisdom," and, "in all your getting, get understanding."  But we Westerners tend to put too much emphasis on the mental grasp of life rather than on the, "....overwhelmed with wonder...."

There were most likely people in the crowd that day who had never heard Jesus preach/teach.  They just saw Him, and in that seeing they were "taken" to another realm.  Here was the One Whom the Bible calls, "Lovely One," and, "Rose of Sharon, and the Lilly of the Valley."  What sort of "understanding" does one have to have to look upon a Rose and a Lily?!?  You just behold them, enjoy them.  Today, this is a "word" for all of us.  The current political climate in America, as well as the "talk" radio and television, which seems to be an endless purveying of punditry, is a plethora of, "....arguing with them."  

I read the, "God-Breathed," utterances, I pray, "in the spirit," I worship, I "do mission" all because down deep in my heart, down where the mind of man cannot go, Jesus' Word was imparted in a "special" way, "If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there will My Servant be also."  Jesus' Words do not come with, "arguing with them...."  Jesus' Words come in, "....overwhelmed with wonder."  I desire my life, as I know do you, to be dominated not by, "....arguing with them," but rather, "....overwhelmed with wonder."

Father, in Jesus' Name, grant that I live/walk in, "....overwhelmed with wonder...."  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive